Nairne was one of five foundation members of the Eastern Hills Cricket Association which commenced in season 1931/32. The earliest artefact we have for the club is the AGM minutes of August 28 1931 but this minute references previous years so it seems the club does pre-date the formation of this association. It is interesting to note that for two seasons a team called "Nairne Veterans" also competed but it is unclear when and whether they had any affiliation with the Nairne Cricket Club.
Through other sources we know that cricket was played in Nairne at least as early as 1904/05 but whether this was as the Nairne Cricket Club or if there was a regularly organised competition is for now a mystery.
In season 1960/61 the EHCA merged with the Mt. Barker District Cricket Association to form the Mt. Barker and Eastern Hills Cricket Association with Nairne again a foundation member.
Eventually the Mt.B&EHCA again merged, this time with the Alexandra Cricket Association in 1983 due to a decline in both associations to form the Alexandra and Eastern Hills Cricket Association which thrives to this day. Again Nairne Cricket Club was a foundation member making it one of the few clubs to maintain continuous membership of the "same" association since the formation of the EHCA.
The home ground of the NCC is the Nairne Oval and has been for many years now. The facility has improved in leaps and bounds in recent years since the formation of the Nairne Oval Committee which ushered in an era of great cooperation between the clubs that enjoy the use of the facility. A victim of its own success throughout the years however means that the club has often had more teams than it has ovals to play on and so home games have been played on ovals such as the Nairne Primary School, Echunga Number 2 Oval, Strathalbyn High School Oval, St. Francis De Sales School, Mt. Barker Primary School, and Callington Oval among others. As of last season there is also a second (smaller) oval available for use at the Nairne Oval complex.
It is again unclear where the home of the NCC was in the early years. The 1931 meeting minutes refers to asking a Mr. Jenner to put a pitch on his property and the following year's minutes says to make the same request of Mr. W. Clezy on his property opposite the Bennett and Fischer Sale Yards and also in the same year a reference to a sports shed on Mr J.C. Marshall's property and a further reference to rolling "The Oval". Is seems the club was nomadic in its early years at least with practice facilities.
The AGM minutes of August 1933 resolved to seek permission from Mr. Taylor for use of the Oval which is clearly the current Nairne Oval but whether this is the first time such permission was sort is unclear.
It is fair to say that the Nairne Cricket Club was a slow starter when it came to premiership success with the club's first premiership not happening until the 1954/55 season and then the Grand Final was won by just one wicket. It would be a further 21 years before the club tasted success again but it achieved back to back flags in 1975/76 and 1976/77.
The club would have to wait until the 1990's before it tasted success again but the introduction of full time coaches and an increased professionalism seemed to pay off with success in 1991/92, 1994/95, 1995/96 and 1998/99. The 21st century then proved very kind to the club with success in 2005/06 and then the unparalleled run of seven consecutive premierships from 2008/09 to 2014/15.
The club has also experienced one day success taking out the Rotary Cup in 1995/96 and winning the Country T20 championship in season 2012/13 defeating Stansbury on Adelaide Oval.
The lower grades have experienced their own share of success with under 16 successful in 1976/77, 1979/80 and 1993/94; C Grade in 1993/94, 1995/96, 2007/08 and 2008/09; B Grade in 1988/89 and 2008/09; a A2 Grade in 2010/11 and 2011/12.
2008/09 was a stellar year as the club won three senior premierships, one in each grade we competed in.
The true measure of the club's success however is the participation rate of recent times where we have regularly fielded four senior teams, U16, U14, U12, U10 and run the Milo/In2Cricket program for primary school kids. Often there has been more than one team in an age group and we were a pioneering club being the first to field an all girl junior team. Everyone is welcome at our club.
One of the more interesting turning points for the club occurred in season 2003/04 when the new coach suggested that the club adopt a nickname. After some thought and a vote within the club the snorting pig logo was created and "The Razorbacks" were born!